Born on St Patrick's Day: Happy 115th Mary

They say that its good luck to be Irish, and that the luckiest of all are those who are born on St Patrick's Day. No doubt this is what was said the day that my great grandmother was born. However, her life was not necessarily filled with the good luck that the superstition had predicted. As much as she had a hard life, her life was also an "ordinary" one of a young British immigrant to Canada. Despite that, the simple life she led in youth was filled with fun. She embrace the changing times, new found freedoms, and innovations. Its the heirlooms from that chapter of her life that fascinate me the most because they show aside to her that none of my relatives knew - a woman who was happy. So today, I am going to share the side of her that one of those heirlooms tells. I have a small black autograph book that was hers.  At almost 100 years old, the book binding has all but disintegrated yet the leather cover is in near pristine condition and the partially bound pages are al

Tips for Finding Your Family in the 1931 Canadian Census

The 1931 Canadian census was  released on June 1 2023. At the time of its release, Library and Archives Canada (BAC-LAC) had digitalized the collection but had not transcribed, consolidated, and made it searchable by name. This means that the only way to find an ancestor was by searching using districts and subdistricts. Within the past week, Ancestry has applied their AI transcription technology and managed to make some of the census searchable by name, however this is not without its own imperfections. 

When trying to find your ancestor in the 1931 census, its best to start with Ancestry to see if their page has been accurately transcribed by the AI technology. If your unable to find who your looking for, all is not lost. By the applying the following strategy (and a little patience), it is possible to find them!

I used a combination of historical maps, city directories, and modern maps to find the street that I am looking for. I developed this strategy when the census was first released because I was too excited (impatient?) to wait for a transcription to released. To best illustrated its application I will walk you through a case study. 

I had been researching my 2x great grandparents for quite some time and therefore knew (based on city directories) that I needed to find Busy Street. I started by referencing the 1931 census and noticed that Busy Street was located in Ward 1. This meant that I could quickly screen subdivisions based on the image in the set, as opposed to having to skim through several pages. 


The city directory also provided me with the names of the three major streets that surrounded Busy street. This information will prove useful when referencing the names in the census return against a map. 

Once I had found an entry for Ward 1, I would skim it for street names and reference it against a historical map of Toronto. I particularly liked this one because it could be overlayed on the modern Google map. The process of cross referencing the census against the map resulted in the following type of table/notes:

 

For the above map, I have highlighted Busy street in green, and the streets mentioned in the subdistricts in blue. It should be noted that the visible street names are those from the modern map, and that the street names from the historical map are only visible when zoomed in on smaller sections. 

Based on the above, I knew that I was quite far north of Busy street. After mapping out another few districts on either side of this range I determined that subdistricts were moving in two separate snaking pattern that met near Gerrard street. This meant that I needed to continue applying this method to the descending subdistrict numbers. I eventually found Busy street in subdistrict 20. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ford's Folly and the Slum of Little Hell

Courting Disaster: The 1915 Niagara Trolley Accident

Researching Addresses that no Longer Exist